Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Alpine Mädl to Viennese Lady

Leaving the Austrian mountains to earn a masters in International Studies at the Diplomatic Academy of Vienna...I'm one ball of excitement and nerves! I can't wait to see what new things I will learn and be opened to while studying at the DA. Located in the heart of Europe, the Diplomatic Academy of Vienna benefits by being exposed to many international influences while providing a world-class education. The mountains will always be there for me but as an independent single 24 year old woman, it's time to live in a big city!


Some of you may wonder...what's the obsession with Austria? Why would she want to live there? The decision is difficult and at the moment nothing is permanent but for the next two years I will still be abroad. At this point, I still want to see much of the world and will take fate's path where it wants to lead me.

Let me explain my passion a bit....


I. It started at a young age hiking:








II.  I'm a Romantic:
As a romantic I love things that are old in style, warm, crumbling, and organic.  I'm instantly drawn to anything ethereal. I feel very fortunate that I've had the opportunity to choose the place I want to live in-not all of us are so lucky.  In my opinion, nature is the purest of these beauties. I will be sad to leave the dramatic Alps but look forward to the more abstract form that can be found in Vienna by appreciating architecture, museums, the old world, and the unconventional.  Beauty doesn't always shine.


Looking back on something I've written in an old blog...

"As every leaf turns and season goes by I'd say Vienna always awaits me. So it was more than a treat to visit my great Aunt, Tante Grete, und uncle, Onkel Friedl in this city full of buildings so white they sparkle when it's sunny, coffee so good it convinces one to never want Starbucks ever again, and pastries so detailed and handeled with care that they are just as priceless as imperial porcelein. But's it's also the street actors dressed as Mozart and Strauss and consistent patter of horse hooves coming from carriages that remind one of a time so rich in culture and royal mystique. I can't help but to stop and let it soak in...I'm in the opinion that the Austrians will forever have the Kaiser (Emporer) in their heart. I think a piece of him might be in me as well...or maybe it's just the Mozart Kugeln that are too tempting to resist."

So, I'm not trying to sugarcoat anything here but I just choose to appreciate the rosiness while still keeping  myself grounded and my head out of the clouds. Of course, this city also comes with downfalls like tourism and the overstimulation of souvenir stores in plenty (but hey, it provides the city with money to keep its galore)! It is a city of a couple million people so it has areas that the average tourist won't venture. The underground scene of Vienna is just as unique and representative of their culture as are the Klimts decorated in gold or the Opera intermissions illuminated by the reflections of champagne glasses that seem to glimmer with their little bubbles. This upcoming year I'd like to experience both of these cultures when I'm not hitting the books.

In my life facts are valued but I live for the emotions (the good ones!). I believe in loving things and loving others above oneself.  This is where I find meaning in life.  We must always try to understand each other rather than believing ourselves to be omniscient. If you hold on to your altruistic core values, you will attract other outstanding human beings. By living abroad and meeting many new people on a regular basis, I've quickly learned how to surround myself with truly good-natured friends and to hold on to those special relationships. Never keep someone around who makes you feel horrible! Sometimes people grow apart but if the relationship is worth anything then we must fight to keep it. Word of advice: snail mail shows so much more than any ole facebook message! But trust me I'm no perfect friend. There are times I look back on things and think "doh. I should've done this or that" or sometimes I write postcards with the intention of sending them about but never do...terrible! So a FB message will have to do at times ;)  I tend to be my harshest critic.  This past year in Innsbruck, I feel as if I spent more time on myself but it's really not about me, is it?

From one of my favorite shows, GIRLS:






III. Deeply Rooted:

If you've ever been to my house in Texas it's like stepping into an Austria of an older time with Texan accents, tributes to the U.S. Naval Academy, and American appliances ^^ Although I only grew up hearing German spoken between my mother's side of the family, we grew up with some of the culture and traditions. I will always be that silly light-hearted American girl but along the way, there was always some Austria in me as well. Throughout my life my Austrian grandparents, who emigrated to South America and then to the United States, have inspired me to continue their legacy by making a full circle to Vienna, close to where they were born and raised, so I can continue studying, working, and living to become a leader and difference-maker as an international citizen of the world.  I suppose it's not a surprise to be living in Austria...I just can't believe I was able to do so! My mother, born in peru with the Austrian family, and my father, traveled through the navy sharing the same passion for the "old world", shared with me this appreciation...and it stuck! Growing up we didn't visit Europe often because we are a family of 5, but we'd always hear the tales of my Oma and Opa when they were younger and of my great Aunt in Vienna. It wasn't until the last chapter of my life that I got to know her well. Now, I'm living everything out for myself and making it my own.

  It's kind of amazing that something you dreamed as a child is becoming true...it's really humbling. I couldn't have done any of this without the love and support of my family. This is the hardest thing about living my dream abroad-I'm away from them but for a time the sparrow must leave the nest to see what's out there.

Picture 1: My last night in Innsbruck with my mother
Picture 2: Always fascinated by the globe






No comments:

Post a Comment