Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Old and New Converged

A journal entry that became an ode* to my always en vogue big sister...written earlier today

Dearest Allison,

I wish you were here with me right now. It is again a cold rainy day in the month of March (I have a feeling this simply means the more beautiful the flowers will be in Spring), but during this mid morning after my night out in Bamberg I've nestled myself into a place that has your name written all over it. Despite the fact that it's tucked in a small corner on the river canal that separates the most historic charming part of town and the centuries old university buildings, you walk in and it's a sleek yet very cozy nouveau cafe. The area on the canal that's close is known as Klein Venedig (Bamberg's "Little Venice")... As you're entering the cafe, the sweet smell of fresh pastries and coffee allures you. The delight of your own cappuccino or grosse Braune* makes you quickly find a seat so you can warm up and order. Besides the large hanging black chandelier crafted in the somewhat gaudy nuanced french country boutique (still very fun), the lighting is low and arises from the sandy wooden floors that gracefully take you up a step to sleek tables and plush seating. The colors of rust and burgundy on the cubic couches somehow flow elegantly with the streamlined wooden menu panels that are lit up on the wall by a hidden neon green light. Surrounding me is a collective of sophisticates and trendy students. Telepopmusik's "Breathe"* is now lightly playing in the background. I don't think it could be more appropriate for this place and time. If it isn't the feeling encompassing Caffébar Kranen that reminds me of you, then it's the deer statues carved from wood by the bar counter and antlers above the entrance to the Küche*. We're both suckers for woodland creatures. What really hits home is something that just appeared in the corner of my eye. She's a manikin sitting on an old retro green leather lounge chair. Her hair is a big light blond Afro and to keep warm she wears a caramel mink coat. To preserve her vogue dramatic effect, her oversize faded shades look out onto the day lit windows in the front. As you follow her posed legs to the ground her metallic pointed heels direct you to her friend, a stuffed Sharpe attached to chair with a long red ribbon for a leash...I couldn't resist but to laugh quietly out loud to myself. So ironic, huh? I had stop and think about the stuffed Sharpe you had as a cool and much older teenager. For some reason I thought the Sharpe completely surpassed the sophistication of my Eddie Bauer golden retriever/Labrador collection and of course the infamous lions: Braveheart, Nala, and Simba. It's always been that though hasn't it? Glamor girl and nature girl. haha But anyways, I should be making productivity the call of the day...and there's nothing but cold foam left in my cup but I miss you and am thinking of you!

Much Love,
Stink

*Andrew, please do not be offended that this isn't an ode to you...Maybe when I see a toe-headed little boy wearing Lederhosen with scraped knees and a mischievous sparkle in his eye will I write another one ;)
*Breathe: by German Telepopmusik, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdUpxch4F8M
*Grosse Braune: austro-german coffee
*Küche: Kitchen

1 comment:

  1. My Dearest Stinky,

    I must admit, I got a little misty when I read this. I truly wish I was there with you, but I think it is going to be so special for you to experience all of this on your own. One day we will have to visit this place together. In the meantime, take some non-flash photographs for me :)

    All my love,
    Alia

    ReplyDelete