Friday, March 6, 2009

And We Have Lift Off

While on Lufthansa...

Endlich, my adventure begins. Up until now the realization of living in Germany never seemed so actual and true to happen. Maybe it took passing the German newspapers onto the airplane, being surrounded by predominantly German speaking passengers, and uttering my first sentence to an old couple "bitte, Ich kann mein Mantel mitnehmen, wenn Sie moechten!" (please I can take my coat with me, if you'd like!) for this all to become real.

Although...looking out of the window has suddenly distracted me to stop and think for a minute. (I'm sure you're not surprised that my thought process happened to change because of a simple distraction.) Not only am I taken away by the striking reds, oranges, blues, and purples of a Texas sunset I'm about to leave and will miss, but also of something greater and humbling-The sense of our shrinking world. Drawn back into perspective, I'm on a German airline gazing out at a Texas sunset with Arabic writing in view from an Emirates airplane. The outrageous amount of connectivity in the world makes me anxious. I still don't know why this bothers me. Does this connectivity hurt or help cultures grow? If it says anything, I'm not the biggest fan of globalization. Instead of concerning myself with the possible dillusion of cultures, I'll just remind myself of the Lufthansa down pillow awaiting my head and sleeping pill ready to go.

Nevertheless, this childhood dream of mine has yet to truly sink in. Hopefully it won't take a nose dive rather than a gradual sink when I'm confronted with words I can hardly understand or search for in the German part of my brain to express myself. Eitherway, my personality won't let it get to me and I'll focus on the exciting things to follow. I'm so gracious for the opportunity ahead of me so for now I'll remain in my little comfort zone. Boots off, ear buds in, book on lap, and a glass of wine on its way-you could say I'm sittin' pretty in my window seat.

Leb' wohl,

Katzi

No comments:

Post a Comment